Skip menu
Wawel Royal Castle - HOME
plen

















Wawel Royal Castle
State Art Collection

31-001 Kraków, Wawel 5

Switchboard:
(+48 12) 422-51-55, 422-61-21
zamek@wawel.org.pl

Tourist Information:
(+48 12) 422 51 55
ext. 219
informacja@wawel.org.pl

Resrvations and Guide Service:
(+48 12)
422 16 97
bot@wawel.org.pl


Press contact:
(+48 12) 422 51 55
ext. 380, 341
pr@wawel.org.pl

Court Banner

Stanisław Barzi’s Funeral Banner

Zoom in -
This is the oldest funeral banner, one of around a dozen textiles of its type which have been preserved. At first, funeral banners were hung over the tombs of knights who had died in battle with the pagans, but soon they became part of the funeral ceremony. They became a kind of tombstone containing an image of the deceased and his epitaph. They were most commonly used in Prussia, whence we have the majority of examples, including a funeral banner for a three-year-old and the only preserved banner for a woman.

The banner was probably hung during or not long after the funeral of Stanisław Barzi (1530-1571) over his tomb next to the altar to St. Anthony he had funded in Kraków Cathedral on Wawel Hill.

Gifted to Princess Izabella Czartoryska in 1803, along with the Court Banner it was exhibited in the collections of the Temple of the Sibyl in Puławy. They were both looted by the Russians in 1848 and passed into the collections of the Hermitage in St. Petersburg.
The Funeral Banner returned to Poland in 1925, and from 1928 it was exhibited on the second floor of the Envoys’ Stairs and in the Treasury. In 1939 it was evacuated with the most priceless treasures – Sigismund II Augustus’ collection of arrases and the sword Szczerbiec – to Romania and later France, only to find final refuge in Quebec in Canada. It returned to Poland in 1961.
The dark brown trapezoidal banner is painted on one side. In the upper section it bears an inscription about Stanisław Barzi, whose image is visible on the lower section of the banner.

Stanisław Barzi was a royal courtier and secretary to Sigismund II Augustus, as well as the Castellan of Kraków. His kinship with the powerful Kmita and Tęczyński families enabled him to inherit one of the largest fortunes in the Commonwealth.
Kraków, 1571
silk, tempera, gold
313 x 163 cm

Court Banner

Zoom in -
The Court Banner was created at the wedding and coronation of Sigismund II Augustus and his third wife, Catherine of Austria, which took place on 30th July 1553 in Kraków.
Poland 1553
silk, tempera, gold and silver
229 x 352 cm

The Banner of the Archduke Maximilian's Silesian Armies

Zoom in -
The Banner was won on 24th January 1588 at the Battle of Byczyna, which was fought between the armies of Maximilian III Habsburg, pretender to the Polish throne, and Chancellor Jan Zamoyski, on the side of Sigismund III Vasa.
Silesia, 1587
silk, tempera
170 x 190 cm

The Inscription Banner

Zoom in -
This was won on 12th September 1683 at the Battle of Vienna by the army of Marcin Zamoyski, a friend of King John III Sobieski.
Turkey, 2nd half of the 17th cent.
Silk, gold, silver
233 x 358 cm
hometop