Skip menu
Wawel Royal Castle - HOME
plen

















Wawel Royal Castle
State Art Collection

31-001 Kraków, Wawel 5

Switchboard:
(+48 12) 422-51-55, 422-61-21
zamek@wawel.org.pl

Tourist Information:
(+48 12) 422 51 55
ext. 219
informacja@wawel.org.pl

Resrvations and Guide Service:
(+48 12)
422 16 97
bot@wawel.org.pl


Press contact:
(+48 12) 422 51 55
ext. 380, 341
pr@wawel.org.pl

Ceramics

The ceramics collection, consisting of over 1400 items was created through donations and purchases. In the interwar period in Wawel there were fewer than 40 objects from this field of artistic craftsmanship. They were predominantly Italian maiolica, bought in Russian antique shops in 1928 by the curator of Wawel museum, Marian Morelowski. Another maiolica set was purchased from a well known Viennese collector Simon Schwartz in 1938. After the Second World War the collection was expanded with further maiolica pieces and eastern and European contemporary ceramics – faience and stoneware and early Meissen and Polish porcelain.
 
The ceramics collection owes its present form to the great collectors who donated their collections to the Royal Castle. The Konczakowski family from Cieszyn donated chiefly European maiolica and stoneware and several exquisite glass exhibits. The most important part of the collection – Meissen porcelain, mostly from the 18th c., exhibited on the first floor of the castle, was donated by Tadeusz Wierzejski in 1966. The sculpture entitled Golgotha by Johann Joachim Kaendler is of particular interest. Other important donations are the two collections of Dutch faience from Delft, exhibited in the Grey Hall – one of them Tadeusz Raabe’s, a Warsaw collector’s examples, donated in 1978 by his wife, the famous actress, Tola Mankiewiczówna, and a donation from Irena Antonin Bobbé nee Szembek from 1982, which includes Delft  faience and Meissen china. In 2000 Professor Karolina Lanckorońska donated four works of antique Greek ceramics to Wawel: an amphora, a cylix, a cantaros and a protoma.
In the 1960s a large and precious collection of Chinese, Japanese, Turkish and Persian ceramics was purchased from Pelagia Potocka.  
The department of ceramics also contains exhibits discovered during archaeological research conducted on Wawel Hill. These include vessels and a collection of Renaissance and Baroque stove tiles. These findings allowed the reconstruction of stoves which heated the castle interiors in the 16th c. The tiles and reconstruction models can be viewed at the Lost Wawel exhibition. There are also floor tiles from Krakow cathedral.
A separate set consists of Baroque stoves standing in castle chambers, originally from Wiśniowiec Castle in Wołyń,  bought and donated to Wawel by the Roman Catholic Charitable Association in St. Petersburg.
An interesting exhibit, closely related to the official function of the castle in the interwar period, is the President’s service, with glasses and table porcelain decorated with a golden Eagle. These are exhibited in President Ignacy Mościcki’s apartment.

Ceramics

Zoom in - Maiolica dish.
Maiolica dish.
Maiolica dish. Italy, Venice or Padua, 3rd quarter of the 16th c. A istoriato decoration, with a scene from the legend of Cupid and Psyche. Purchased in 1938. 
Zoom in - Maiolica salver.
Maiolica salver.
Maiolica salver. Italy, Urbino, Patanazzi workshop, 1626. With rich ornamental decoration and the Franciscan coat of arms. A gift from the Konczakowski family from Cieszyn.
Zoom in - Porcelain dish.
Porcelain dish.

Porcelain dish. Japan, Arita, before 1721. With landscape and ornamental decoration. From the royal collection of Augustus II, the Strong, for the Japanese Palace in Dresden. A gift from Andrzej Ciechanowiecki from London.

Zoom in - A set of three vases.
A set of three vases.
A set of three tin-glazed eartheware vases. Holland, Delft, c. 1740. With painted Chinese-style decoration. A gift from Irena Antonina Bobbe nee Szembek.
Zoom in - Böttger red stoneware teapot.
Böttger red stoneware teapot.
Böttger red stoneware teapot. Meissen, Johann Friedrich Böttger, 1711. Valance decoration with a moulded blackamoor's mash. A gift from Tadeusz Wierzejski.
Zoom in - Three porcelain vases.
Three porcelain vases.
Three porcelain vases, copies of Japanese Kakiemon-style vases. Meissen, c. 1725. From the royal collection of Augustus II, the Strong, for the Japanese Palace in Dresden. A gift from Tadeusz Wierzejski.
Zoom in - Porcelain cup and saucer.
Porcelain cup and saucer.
Porcelain cup and saucer for drinking chocolate, Saxony, Meissen, 1725-1730. With gilt decoration made in Augsburg, boasting Chinese genre painting. A gift from Tadeusz Wierzejski.
Zoom in - Porcelain tureen with cover.
Porcelain tureen with cover.
Porcelain tureen with cover. Saxony, Meissen, c. 1730. With multi-coloured valance decoration and the three dimensional figure of a cockerel on the lid. A gift from Tadeusz Wierzejski.
Zoom in - Swan service porcelaine platter.
Swan service porcelaine platter.
Swan service porcelaine charger. Saxony, Meissen, Johann Joachim Kaendler and Johann Friedrich Eberlein, 1738-1740. The set, ordered in Meissen by count Brühl, with the Brühl-Kolovrat coat of arms on the rim, its name derives from its relief decoration of a waterscape with swans. Purchased in 1999.
Zoom in - Porcelain group of Golgotha.
Porcelain group of Golgotha.
Porcelain group of Golgotha. Saxony, Meissen, Johann Joachim Kaendler, 1743-1744. Multi-figure, three dimensional sculpture group (15 elements) with a floral decoration at the base. The sculpture was incomplete when it arrived at Wawel; in 2001 its conservation at Wawel was completed, together with the reconstruction of missing figures in a factory in Meissen. A gift from Tadeusz Wierzejski.
Zoom in - Habaner ware jug.
Habaner ware jug.

Habaner ware jug. Northern Moravia, 1664. With the Leliwa coat of arms. Purchased in 1938.

STOVE TILES

Zoom in - Stove tile with the polish coat of arms.
Stove tile with the polish coat of arms.
Stove tile with the polish coat of arms. Kraków, 2nd quarter of the 16th c. Glazed pottery clay; relief decoration with an Eagle entwined with the letter "S". A tile from a Renaissance stove at Wawel castle found during architectural works in 1927.
Zoom in - Stove tile with the Sforza coat of arms.
Stove tile with the Sforza coat of arms.
Stove tile with the Sforza coat of arms. Kraków, 2nd quarter of the 16th c. Glazed pottery clay; relief decoration with the Sforza coat of arms. A tile from a Renaissance stove at Wawel castle found during architectural works in 1927.
Zoom in - Stove tile with a rosette motif.
Stove tile with a rosette motif.
Stove tile with a rosette motif. Kraków, 1524-1535. Glazed pottery clay; relief decoration. A tile from a Renaissance stove at Wawel castle found during architectural works in 1927.
Zoom in - Stove tile with a fruit motif.
Stove tile with a fruit motif.
Stove tile with a fruit motif. Kraków, 1524-1535. Glazed pottery clay; relief decoration. A tile from a Renaissance stove at Wawel castle found during architectural works in 1927.
Zoom in - Half-cylinder stove tile.
Half-cylinder stove tile.
Half-cylinder stove tile with the figure of a king. Kraków, Bartosz of Kazimierz’s workshop, 1524 - 1535. Glazed pottery clay; relief decoration. A tile from a Renaissance stove at Wawel castle found during architectural works in 1927.

Dorota Gabryś

hometop