The Lost Wawel

Hours and Tickets

last entry:

half an hour before closing

hours

01 Jan. - 31 Dec.

Monday − free adm.

9:30 am−1 pm

...
Tuesday-Sunday − paid adm.

individual entry times − ask at the ticket window for availability

closed on May 20, 2023

sightseeing changes

14 Aug. - 17 Aug.

August 14 (Mon.) paid admission

9:30 am−7 pm

August 17 (Thu.) free adm.

9:30 am−1 pm

admission

01 Jan. - 31 Dec.

reg. 15 PLN, red. 10 PLN

pic up free admission ticket on free adm. day

Permanent exhibition
The Lost Wawel
The Lost Wawel exhibition in its present form opened in 1975. Building upon earlier expositions dedicated to the history of Wawel Hill and centered on the remains of the Rotunda of Sts. Felix and Adauctus (alternately, Rotunda of the Blessed Virgin Mary) from the late 10th/early 11th century, the exhibition also encompasses the former royal kitchens and coach house. This unique exhibition combines an archaeological-archite ctural reserve, architectural elements from various periods, traditionally displayed objects uncovered in archaeological excavations, and scale models of buildings. One room is devoted to the Wawel’s large collection of Renaissance tiles.
Permanent exhibition
The Lost Wawel
The Wawel lapidarium is a collection of stone sculptures and architectural details r ecovered over the past 100 years in the course of restoration work and archaeological excavations. All of the objects relate to the Wawel and were removed from their original locations at different times and in varying circumstances. A selection of the finest stonework is on view in several dedicated rooms. The sculptures and carved stone elements presented are not only parts of an architectural ensemble. They are a tangible manifestation of the fate and transformation of the historic buildings on Wawel Hill. The objects are arranged in thematic groups: architectural elem ents from the Arcaded Courtyard; fragments of stonework from the façade of the royal palace and pieces uncovered in archaeological excavations conducted on the lower terrace of the royal gardens; and sculpture and stonework from the Wawel Cathedral. The Cathedral’s Sigismund Chapel is one of the finest examples of Italian Renaissance architecture north of the Alps, but can only be viewed through a bronze grille. A display of plaster casts of the Chapel’s carved stone decoration provides a unique opportunity to see these splendid ornamental details close up.
Permanent exhibition
The Lost Wawel
scroll down
Permanent exhibition
Archaeological-architectural reserve
Archaeological-architectural reserve around the Rotunda of Sts. Felix and Adauctus Rotunda of Sts. Felix and Adauctus (or Rotunda of the Blessed Virgin Mary), 10th/11th century. This is the most important architectural site within the reserve. It was excavated and reconstructed in 1917–1918. The cylindrical rotunda with four apses is built directly on limestone bedrock. In addition, on the south side there is a circular annex connected to the main structure by a passageway. The building is constructed of irregular sandstone plate bound with lime mortar. The extant walls of the structure are 3 to 7 meters high (southeast apse). The rotunda was discovered Adolf Szyszko-Bohusz, who also studied the structure and proposed the first spatial reconstruction of the body of the building (model on view in the exhibition).
Permanent exhibition
Archaeological-architectural reserve
The visible, upper portion of the reconstruction was built at a scale of 1:1 onto the existing walls. Ever since its discovery, the rotunda has been a topic of scholarly debate. Discussion has ranged from the reconstruction to other possible spatial and functional solutions and dating. Remnants of medieval structures located to the north and east of the Rotunda of Sts. Felix and Adauctus: the pre-Romanesque walls of the tomb annex with a partly disturbed burial site, a Gothic defensive wall, and the foundations of the Gothic upper castle. Natural depressions or sinkholes and archaeological layers of material culture are visible in the strata of the exposed rock face.
Permanent exhibition
Archaeological-architectural reserve
scroll down
Permanent exhibition
Royal Coach House
Objects discovered in archaeological excavations on Wawel Hill are displayed in the chambers of the former coach house. Material traces of everyday life in the Middle Ages, such as shoes, buckles, pots, and tools among others, are grouped together by their constituent materials. Plaster casts and architectural details which correspond to models of medieval buildings provide context. One of the most intriguing objects on view is a tomb slab carved with an image of the Tree of Life. It comes from a bi-apsidal pre-Romanesque rotunda (known as church B).
Permanent exhibition
Royal Coach House
scroll down
Permanent exhibition
Small Kitchen
Parts of the 16th-century royal kitch-ens are preserved in this chamber: foundations of the pillars that supported stove hoods, remnants of ovens, and the original ceramic tile floor. Late medieval ceramics, such as kitchen vessels, tableware, floor and stove tiles, are displayed in glass cases. Also on view are models of the 15th-century psalm singers house founded by Jan Długosz and the 14th-century Gothic cathedral.
Permanent exhibition
Small Kitchen
scroll down
Permanent exhibition
Lapidarium (I)
Architectural details from the Arcaded Courtyard, which was restored by Zygmunt Hendel in 1905–1914. Original 16th-century stonework elements, later replaced by copies, constitute a large portion of the Wawel lapidarium.
Permanent exhibition
Lapidarium (I)
scroll down
Permanent exhibition
Lapidarium (II)
Stonework fragments from the royal palace and ensembles of carved stone details found in archaeological excavations of the lower terrace of the royal gardens.
Permanent exhibition
Lapidarium (II)
scroll down
Permanent exhibition
Lapidarium (III)
Stonework from the Wawel Cathedral includes a Renaissance altar ensemble from 1521, carved by stonecutters from the workshop responsible the Sigismund Chapel; a tympanum from the tomb (1613–1615) of Piotr Tylicki, bishop of Krakow; and a 1558 marble sculpture of St. Anthony Abbot.
Permanent exhibition
Lapidarium (III)
scroll down
Permanent exhibition
Lapidarium (IV)
Exhibition of plaster casts of the carved decoration of the Sigismund Chapel. The oldest were cast in 1868–1874, from molds made by the Krakow sculptor Parys Filippi. The casts were made by students attending Courses for Women at the Museum of Technology and Industry in Krakow and published in an 1878 album on the architectural decoration of the chapel entitled “Album ozdób z kaplicy Zygmuntowskiej.”
Permanent exhibition
Lapidarium (IV)
scroll down
Permanent exhibition
Tile Room
The 16th–17th century tiles in the collection come from ceramic heating stoves once found in the royal castle. It is the most valuable ensemble of its kind in Poland. The tiles are beautifully decorated with figural elements, vegetal and animal motifs, and coats of arms. Models of tile stoves are also on view.
Permanent exhibition
Tile Room
scroll down
Permanent exhibition
Multimedia Room
The exhibition also includes a virtual computer reconstruction of selected early Romanesque and Romanesque buildings of Wawel, based on archaeological, architectural, illustrational, photographic and conservational evidence. The buildings are shown on Wawel Hill surrounded by wooden and earth fortifications and with cottages within.
Permanent exhibition
Multimedia Room
scroll down