The Crown Treasury and Armoury closed until further information
Stone sculptures and architectural details.
This is a collection of stone sculptures and architectural details (over 2000) discovered during conservation works and archaeological research conducted on Wawel hill from the end of the 19th c. The largest section includes examples of Renaissance and Baroque stonework, Gothic details – fragments of rib vaults, keystones and parts of tracery decoration, mainly from archaeological research conducted in the area of the Gothic churches of St. George and St. Michael. The most valuable set consists of the elements of architectural decoration of the royal castle, primarily from the arcaded courtyard, which was damaged and later replaced by copies during restoration work conducted under Z. Hendel’s supervision in the years 1905-1914. These are primarily fragments of Renaissance capitols of courtyard columns, impost blocks, covered passageways, window frames and door lintels.